3/23/15

MKmA Review - Gadget: ASUS Zenfone 5

My HP Slate went dead (sad face, lol). For a couple of days, my 24/7 online presence has been compromised - scary huh!

And I am telling you - that was the hardest. Lol. So it left me no choice but to get a replacement. I told you, it's the hardest. Lol.

So I started browsing Lazada for the price comparison and ofcourse the performance. This, even I had worst experiences with them but hey this is an urgent case (I believe in second chances anyway, lol) and I'm not the person who would go stomping the mall and dissecting every stalls for a gadget search and be pissed by every attending sales person pressuring you to buy the item that you have touched or stared upon, lol. I prefer online shopping these days, it's hassle free and convenient. The idea of being not safe is no longer an issue - you can always pay it on COD anyway (all local online shops offer such mode of payment).
I ended up with ASUS. Well why not, as IT professional I am aware that ASUS is one of the major players in the biz, known for its best selling and award winning motherboards. But now, the name is no longer limited to motherboard in a way that it caters almost every conceivable category of information technology including PC components and peripherals, notebooks, tablets, servers and smartphones.

At first, I was considering Sony's Xperia but after comparing the specs I don't think it's a best value device (expensive if you asked me), then I found and fell in love instantly with Zenfone 6 because of the 13MP rear camera. You knew me as an 'off' and 'on' blogger, so a device/gadget with a picture capability is a 'must'. But then again I got short of cash-out and my only credit card is on the brink to be maxed(lol), I mean it wasn't included in my budget like it was unexpected so I ended up buying the Zenfone 5. Anyways, the only difference are the following:
  1. OS version, Zenfone 6 runs on Android 4.4 (Kitkat) while Zenfone 5 on 4.3 (Jellybean) which is very funny because you can upgrade it to Kitkat anyway, lol.
  2. The back camera is 13MP for Zenfone 6 while Zenfone 5 is set to 8MP on its rear and 2MP on the front.
  3. Zenfone 6 is OTG supported, Zenfone 5 is not although I heard you can make it OTG enable by way of the upgrade but I haven't explored it yet since I don't think I'm in immediate need for that particular feature.
Here are the key features of Zenfone 5 and I must say it's quite impressive and best value for the price.

Highlights
  1. Intel Atom Z2580 Dual-core 2.0GHz CPU + Imagination PowerVR SGX544MP2 GPU
  2. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS
  3. 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM + 32GB External Memory
  4. 5.0-inch HD IPS capacitive touch screen + 1280 x 720 pixels resolution
  5. 8.0MP rear camera with AF and LED flash + 2.0MP front camera
  6. Support Dual SIM Dual Standby, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, FM Radio, Browser, Ebook, Email, Messaging, Wallpapers, Calendar, Calculator, Clock, Camera, Compass, Sound Recorder, etc.
It's pretty fast considering how many apps I'm running at a time, matter-of-fact I haven't experienced a device lagging yet - well maybe because it's still new, lol. With the ZenUI, its front-end touch interface, managing your mobile needs is in itself an experience. Simple in the sense but functional and yet elegant. No pretenses. Just perfect for my needs.

My favorite feature is ofcourse the camera. Matter-of-fact, I've been teased lately because all of a sudden, I become the selfie king, lol.

Actually if you are someone who love taking pictures, I mean before eating meals, when using a bath room, after waking up in the morning, when you have purchased anything new - you know stuff like that, lol.This device is perfect for you not to mention it's cheap. Lol.

Using the rear camera will give you different modes to choose from which can be maxed to up to 3264 x 2448 resolution. Depending on the type of day, and depending on your particular needs. The Auto, Time Reward, HDR, Panorama, Night, Low light, Selfie, Beautification, Maniature, Depth of field, Smart Remove, All Smiles and GIF Animation.

Mode set to Auto


On Low Light and at Night

While the front camera can be extended to 1600 x 1200 screen with the following modes: Auto, HDR, Night, Beautification and GIF Animation. Most of my selfies were taken with the front camera. Lol.

On Night mode

And another, the geeky version. I told you. lol

On Auto mode

The only downside I have noticed on this device is the battery life, it will only last for four hours on full charged well, like most of the phones anyway, lol. And its audio is not loud enough when you put it on speaker.

Overall impression if you're not the hardcore type, you could give this device a thumbs-up. So far, I am loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment